Black Pigeon Peas are easily available in any supermarket. This is one simple and easiest method of preparing rasam.
Black Pigeon Pea Rasam
1 cup Black Pigeon Pea
4-5 crushed Garlic
1-2 Dry Red Chilli
1 cup of water
Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak 1 cup of Black Pigeon Pea in water overnight at least for 8 hours. Drain off the water and transfer it to the cooker add water until it’s fully soaked and cook it in medium flame for 2-3 whistles or until it’s cooked and is soft.
- Let the pressure fall on its own, then open the lid and let it cool for some time.
- Strain off the entire contents of the cooker to another vessel, add water as per how much you require consistency of rasam, and also add salt to taste.
- Bring it to a boil for 5 minutes on a medium flame.
- Once it starts to boil turn off the flame season with crushed garlic and Dry Red chill.
- Serve with hot rice.
- 1. You can discard the Black Pigeon Pea separately and use it as a side dish by preparing a side dish of it or you can add it to rasam.